Friday 15 May 2015

Dressing for a weekend away

A weekend away is always great, and this one may just be staying at my Dad's, but it will be the first time I get to meet my new nephew! However no matter how exciting, several days before we go (ok a week or two) I start having the 'what shall I take to wear' dilemma. Despite often popping away for the weekend (my family aren't local so traveling to see them is a regular thing) I still haven't mastered how to pack for a weekend away. I seem to either end up throwing in too much stuff, or taking stuff I intend to wear and bringing it back untouched after the weekend is spent in the same pair of jeans. (Note that taking too little stuff has never been an issue)

I always think it is far easier to travel when you are either going somewhere warm or cold, however this island of ours is often too intemperate meaning you can have one day of glorious sun followed by snow and gales the next and need to be prepared for both! This makes packing much harder and more last minute as I sit watching the weather forecast wondering if I need to take a waterproof as well as the suncream (ok I always take the suncream). This is then coupled with discussions about the fact it is only 2 nights away and do I really need to take this much, why can't I be one of those savvy travellers with a small bag and an ability to always look good!?

This weekend is no exception to any of that. Mr Owl and I swore to try and take less stuff and I have fallen back on trying to plan my outfits in advance to help with this- and then I threw an extra jumper in and a spare summer blouse as you never know.... I thought I would share my outfit photos with you after the weekend and compare them to what I had planned on and then I can see how well this works out, or not as the case may be.

Therefore the outfits needed are:
Friday
 Needed: something suitable for work (ok my office is relaxed so anything but shorts is fine) and comfortable to then sit in the car down the M6 for however long it takes.
 Solution: Jeggings and an old but comfy long sleeved Abercrombie top layered over a vest with a scarf over the top and ankle boots. The scarf will double up as a blanket in the car for the inevitable 'I'm too hot / I'm too cold discussion'
Saturday
 Needed: Daytime outfit to visit my nephew and niece in (and my sister too of course). Evening outfit for meal in local restaurant.
 Solution: Dress for daytime with brogues or boots. Black jeans for the evening with floaty vest and strappy sandals/
Sunday
 Needed: Outfit for a walk in the morning, then large roast and long drive home.
 Solution: Jeggings (from Friday) and long stripey top. Wellie boots.

Obviously I have thrown several other things in, 'just in case' and the case is as usual pretty full. At least I don't have to worry about the weight when there are no planes involved.
Check back next week for photos and to see how many of my outfits I stuck too or whether I totally fail at this weekend away packing (again!)  If you have any tried and tested methods for weekends away and how to pack less, please let me know!



Little Owl 

No comments:

Post a Comment